Teavana, fragrant, natural teas

Saturday, April 11, 2009

"I'm an Instrumentalist": Taylor Hicks

Taylor Hicks surprises with performing "Seven Mile Breakdown" on View to the Bay. He'd been performing "What's Right is Right" in most appearances and for some reason decided to throw in another tune. Could this one be designated as 'next single'?

One thing, it appears, at least from the tape, he's spared banter with Julie Courtney (Dating with the Stars) and her stepfather, host, Christian Spenser this go round.

Hicks performs solo, does the tune acoustic with guitar, delivers a pretty good performance. He stammers right before the first time he sings "The Sun" naturally I think it has something to do with me since well, the universe revolves around me. (Just kidding for those who need explanation.)

During the interview he seems somewhat uncomfortable. Certainly he's not at ease as my new shiny thing, Robert Pattinson, is within that format. Robert also visited The View to the Bay in one of his early interviews promoting his movie, "Twilight". Interesting comment from Pattinson about how hard it is to make it in the music business toward end of the footage. (He loves Tom Waits too, naturally.) Interesting contrast in personalities, how Pattinson conducts himself comparative to how Taylor Hicks presents himself as well.

Taylor talks about the song, written by Wynn Christianson as a take on "...the wrong side of Mississippi in the dead of Summer". Mr. Hicks takes the opportunity to promote his appearance scheduled for April 14 at Cafe Du Nord saying, that it allows him to do all "... kinds of instruments, I am an instrumentalist, harmonica and guitar, good way for people to see me in a different kind of venue." Hicks goes further with how the venue allows him to "Be with the people". He goes for the funny with, "Make sure you don't have any wardrobe malfunctions".
Taylor Hicks and Wynn Christianson "The Badge"

3 comments:

  1. jerseyirish1:02 PM

    Sunny, Thought it was a good performance just him and the guitar, Henry said someone that was there said he almost didn't go on that he wasn't feeling well.

    I thought it odd Spencer wasn't there also, and no guest appearance from Julie, hmmmmmmmm.......



    JI

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taylor had Spencer and Julie "taken care of." hahaha.

    He wasn't feeling well? I couldn't tell. I didn't think that song would work as an acoustic...acousticated...acousticationated song (what's wrong with me? I'm so weird!), but it did. Nice interview.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:23 PM

    This particular performance was a little rough for me. I'm sure it was because he wasn't feeling well. I heard him do it some other time with guitar and harp and it was wonderful. Maybe not having the harp was throwing him off this time. LOL. I can't imagine how hard it would be to play the harmonica with a cold or sinus. It was still good though.

    Dee

    ReplyDelete