Teavana, fragrant, natural teas

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Stevie Ray Vaughn

Woke up this morning with a Stevie Ray Vaughn tune running through my head.

I had met him many years ago at a bar in the party part of town along a stretch known in Dallas as Lower Greenville. I was hanging out at one of my favorite spots, The Greenville Avenue Bar and Grill with some pals who attended SMU. I had ventured up to the bar for a refill, edged up near this guy holding court at the far end. He wasn't all that good looking, but had something - he was different. It didn't hurt that he was wearing a cool flat-brimmed fedora type hat, and had the best spot near the bartender.

I had no idea who he was, I was just a kid. The guy saw me struggling to get through and told some of his pals to step aside. I went over, thanked him, and he asked what was I drinking, he then took my hat off my hair, replacing it with his own.

Back then I never went out without a beret or a newsboy, I was heavily influenced by the likes of Rickie Lee Jones; wanted to be Rickie Lee Jones, "Chuck E's in Love" and all that. It didn't hurt that folks often commented that I looked like her.

He bought me a drink, and that saying - if I'd known then what I know now - comes to mind every time I think of that night. One of his friends looked me over and said, "Do you have any idea who this is?" The guy smiled and held out his hand, he had the hardest finger tips I had ever felt, he said, "Darlin, I'm Stevie. Stevie Ray Vaughn".

Interview:

Rickie Lee Jones, "Flying Cowboys"

No comments:

Post a Comment